Sunday, September 4, 2011

What just happened?

Hello my dear readers! I'm not sure how it's already Sunday night, more than a week after I last posted. It has been one of those weeks... four kids in three different schools, sports practices, parent nights, rained-out sports practices, music lessons, homework battles, birthday parties, room renovations, the list goes on and on. What? Sounds like your life? Pull up a chair and let's commiserate!

I think my week was best summed up by the picture I'm sharing in this post. Those of you with elementary-age daughters and beyond probably know exactly who that dolly is. Those of you uninitiated into the American Girl club, let me tell you all about it... First, they suck you in by sending uninvited catalogs to your house. Once daughter sees the catalog, it's all over. Daughter sees the beautiful dollies, and reads the lovely, creative stories about the dollies, and see the awesome accessories which can be purchased with the dollies, and next thing you know you've spent more money on a doll and accessories than you spent on your first car. The thing they don't share with you in the spiffy catalog is that the dolly's hair is very, very fragile. If you rub your hand over dolly's hair it tangles and frizzes. If you actually play with dolly her hair ends up in a big, nasty knot. If you try to brush out the knot (with the special brush you spent an extra $7.95 on, natch), the dolly's hair falls out like a middle-aged man's.

But this post isn't actually about the doll, I just felt the need to explain :-)

What I'm trying to say here is that this week I have felt like that doll looks. Half of me has been presented to the world as a reasonably well-coiffed, pulled-together mama. Hiding on the other side of me is a crazy lady with thinning, tangled hair, going in 10 directions at once and thinking to herself "and just how in the hell are you going to fit school and/or a job in all of this??"

I know I can make it work, I'm just not sure how. But I dropped off a resume at the Hallmark store anyways this week. We'll see if I can score an interview for holiday staff. The last time I worked at a Hallmark store I had an 8-week-old infant at home, one child in preschool, and two kids in elementary school. I loved every minute of it!

But as I look at the weekly schedule I've created for myself and my family, the obligations I've committed to, and the expectations my family has of me, I wonder what's going to "go" should I actually manage to get a part-time job. Borrowing trouble? Perhaps. So, I pray. I pray that God will lead me to what I need to be doing at this point in my life and that maybe, it will turn out that a simple part-time job is a good place to start.

And I'll keep trying to tame that hair.

Hugs & God Bless,
Bev




3 comments:

  1. I wish you had started a blog a long time ago! I love reading your stuff. And I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I finally figured out how to post!! Ditto what your friend Crickett said... I wish you had started a blog a long time ago! I love reading your stuff... you are a wonderful, talented, funny writer! And I love you!!

    ReplyDelete