Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ho Ho Ho!!

I always have a little bit of a chuckle at this time of year at how many people get so incredibly worked up about the early launch of the Christmas season.

"Oh no, the Christmas display is up at Wal-Mart!" they cry. "What about Thanksgiving?" they question. "I don't want to hear any Christmas carols yet!" they post on Facebook.

To which I say HO HO HO!!!


The Christmas season is a time of wonder, love and renewal. The birth of our Savior is the highlight to my year. It's also a time of special remembrance to me as I mark another year since the death of my wonderful daddy. I realized many years ago that I could choose to be sad or I could choose to honor his memory by squeezing every ounce of joy out of this blessed time.

You can bet I choose the latter.

The first time I see Christmas lights is always one of my favorite days of the year. I, frankly, don't see that anything gets taken away from Thanksgiving just because some stores are playing Christmas music already. Instead, what I see is an enlarged window of opportunity to enjoy a little of the warm fuzzies as we remember Christmases past. It does not lessen my thankfulness or thoughtfulness over the Thanksgiving holiday one bit.

I think of this small bit of Christmas celebrating before Thanksgiving as a bonus time. I can stop and enjoy the music without that slightly panicky-stomach-upset that I should be shopping, wrapping presents or stamping Christmas cards. Psychologically I know it would make my life so much easier to do it now rather than closer to Christmas, but the deadline-loving girl in me can't seem to get with that program. Since I won't organize and plan early for Christmas, I should revel in it now!!

Plus, since I think people in general tend to be nicer at Christmas-time, it certainly can't hurt to start a little earlier and hope that the niceties start earlier too. Sure, it would be great if everyone were nicer ALL year long, but I'll take what I can get.

So the next time you hear a Christmas song on the radio or see an early-bird light display, stop for a minute and just try to enjoy it.... please? You might find it puts a smile on your face!

Hugs & God Bless,
Beverly

No comments:

Post a Comment